Crescent City Connection
Welcome to the Crescent City Connection!
The Crescent City Connection (CCC), formerly the Greater New Orleans Bridge (GNO), refers to twin cantilever bridges crossing over the Mississippi River in the parishes of Jefferson, Orleans, and St. Bernard. The Crescent City Connection ranks the fifth-longest cantilever bridges in the world and the farthest downstream bridge on the Mississippi River.
The Mississippi River Bridge Authority began construction on the first bridge in November 1954. The GNO Bridge over the Mississippi River opened for traffic in April 1958. Construction on the GNO Bridge No. 2 began in March 1981. Traffic first crossed over the GNO Bridge No. 2 in September 1988.
Both bridges have been in continuous operation since 1988 as a unitary bridge facility having a total of eight general traffic lanes plus two Transit / High Occupancy Vehicle (HOV) lanes. This configuration provides four lanes from the East Bank (New Orleans) of the river to the West Bank of the river, four lanes from the West Bank of the river to the East Bank of the river, and two reversible HOV lanes on the route US 90 Business. The Crescent City Connection ranks as the fifth most traveled toll bridge in the United States, with the annual traffic volume exceeding 63 million.
Following a 1989 public contest to select a name for the bridges, a Louisiana Legislative Act officially designated the bridges as the "Crescent City Connection."